Autocross (Solo)

Because SCCA® Solo® uses traffic cones to build a course in large parking lots or on inactive airstrips, the hazards and barriers to entry are low and that makes autocross one of the easiest and least expensive ways to compete in a car.

While speeds are generally no greater than those encountered in highway driving, the combination of concentration and precision maneuvering leaves many drivers with their heart racing and hands trembling from adrenaline after a run.

Although there are many ways to go autocross and the effort can be as easy or as intense as you want, the basics of going autocrossing are simple.

What you need

Driver’s License: Unless you’re entering one of the Karting classes, you will need a current driver’s license to enter an SCCA Solo event. Bring it with you to show the people working registration you’re good to go.

Helpful tip – If you are under 18, you will need both your parents to sign a minor waiver for you.

Vehicle in good working order: Although autocrossing doesn’t require the same safety gear that you might see in race cars, you will need to make sure that your car (or kart) is in good shape with no loose/worn suspension parts, your car battery is securely held in place, your tires have no cord or metal showing, your car’s brakes and seatbelts are in good shape and it has no big fluid leaks.

Helpful tip – When you get to an event, the tech inspector will make sure your car is ready to go.

Helmet: You will need a helmet when you’re driving on course, but you can usually use a “loaner” helmet provided by the host Region of the event. If you bring your own, it has to meet certain safety standards – more than just “DOT-Approved.” The most common certifications are Snell “M” and “SA” and need to have the number 2005 or higher after the letters. ECE R22.05 certified helmets are also allowed and are common at motorcycle shops.

Helpful tip – If you’re not sure if your helmet is OK or not, show it to a tech inspector who can let you know if it’s acceptable.